Christopher R. Walker
MCh(Orth) FRCS(Orth) FRCS(Eng) FRCS(Ed) FFSEM
· 2017 Fellowship of the Faculty of Sports & Exercise Medicine (Ad Eundum)
· 1993 Intercollegiate Fellowship in Orthopaedic Surgery
· 1990 Master of Orthopaedic Surgery
· 1987 Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons, England
· 1986 Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh
· 1981 L.R.C.P.; M.R.C.S. – Liverpool Medical School
· The British Orthopaedic Association
· The British Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society
· The British Limb Reconstruction Society
· The North West Orthopaedic Diabetic Foot Group
· The British Medical Association
· The Liverpool Orthopaedic Circle
· The Mersey Foot and Ankle Group
- President British Orthopaedic Foot and ankle Society (2007 – 2008)
- Associate Medical Director (Effectiveness), Royal Liverpool & Broadgreen University Hospital Trust (2015 – 2017)
- Associate Clinical Director Trauma, Royal Liverpool & Broadgreen University Hospital Trust (2005 – 2012)
- Director British Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society (2008 – 2013)
- Member of Council, British Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society (2004 – 2009)
- President Liverpool Orthopaedic Circle (2013 – 2014)
I have been involved in medicolegal practice since 1988 and undertake both personal injury work and medical negligence work. My instructions are approximately 40% joint, 40% plaintiff and 20% defendant. I have experience of appearing in court as an expert witness.
I was appointed Consultant in Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery at The Royal Liverpool University Hospital in 1994. Prior to this, I undertook a three centre USA Foot Fellowship to Dr Roger Mann in Oakland, Dr Sigvard T Hansen Jr. in Seattle and Dr Mark Myerson in Baltimore.
As a Consultant, I was initially appointed to undertake lower limb surgery including revision hip and knee arthroplasty work and to further develop the foot and ankle service. However, by 2000, I elected to focus on trauma and foot and ankle surgery. In 2005, I undertook a three week Ilizarov Senior Fellowship at the Ilizarov Institute, Kurgan, Russia and, working closely with the Limb reconstruction Unit in Liverpool, applied those techniques to deformity correction around the foot and ankle. From 2005 to 2010, I ran the orthopaedic trauma service at the Royal Liverpool University Hospital and also developed a comprehensive foot and ankle service. This continues to serve the local patients and provides a tertiary referal service which extends through Lancashire, Cheshire and North Wales. This was achieved by providing easy access and adopting a team approach to the assessment and management of these patients. Quality of care was our aim. This ensured excellent commitment from the clinical team members despite the high workload.
I retired from the Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen NHS Trust in September 2019. I now work solely at the Bone and Joint Centre, Spire Liverpool Hospital and my practice continues to concentrate on trauma, sports injuries and elective foot and ankle surgery. This includes arthroscopic and open surgery around the hind foot, deformity re-alignment, midfoot fusions and forefoot realignment for bunions and lesser toes.
The Medical Defence Union
Medico-legal Consulting Venue and Contact
Bone and Joint Centre Spire Liverpool Hospital 57 Greenbank Road Liverpool L18 1HQ
Tel: 0151 522 1862
Fax: 0151 522 1861